Note: As of January 24, 2020, Citrix has released all expected updates in response to CVE-2019-19781.
On January 19, 2020, Citrix released firmware updates for Citrix Application Delivery Controller (ADC) and Citrix Gateway versions 11.1 and 12.0.
On January 22, 2020, Citrix released security updates for vulnerable SD-WAN WANOP appliances.
On January 23, 2020, Citrix released firmware updates for Citrix ADC and Gateway versions 12.1 and 13.0.
On January 24, 2020, Citrix released firmware updates for Citrix ADC and Gateway version 10.5.
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency (CISA) strongly recommends that all users and administrators upgrade their vulnerable appliances as soon as possible.
Timeline of Specific Events
- December 17, 2019 – Citrix released Security Bulletin CTX267027 with mitigations steps.
- January 8, 2020 – The CERT Coordination Center (CERT/CC) released Vulnerability Note VU#619785: Citrix Application Delivery Controller and Citrix Gateway Web Server Vulnerability, and CISA releases a Current Activity entry.
- January 10, 2020 – The National Security Agency (NSA) released a Cybersecurity Advisory on CVE-2019-19781.
- January 11, 2020 – Citrix released blog post on CVE-2019-19781 with timeline for fixes.
- January 13, 2020 – CISA released a Current Activity entry describing their utility that enables users and administrators to test whether their Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway firmware is susceptible to the CVE-2019-19781 vulnerability.
- January 16, 2020 – Citrix announced that Citrix SD-WAN WANOP appliance is also vulnerable to CVE-2019-19781.
- January 19, 2020 – Citrix released firmware updates for Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway versions 11.1 and 12.0 and blog post on accelerated schedule for fixes.
- January 22, 2020 – Citrix released security updates for Citrix SD-WAN WANOP release 10.2.6 and 11.0.3.
- January 22, 2020 – Citrix and FireEye Mandiant released an indicator of compromise (IOC) scanning tool for CVE-2019-19781.
- January 23, 2020 – Citrix released firmware updates for Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway versions 12.1 and 13.0.
- January 24, 2020 – Citrix released firmware updates for Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 10.5.
On December 17, 2019, Citrix reported vulnerability CVE-2019-19781. A remote, unauthenticated attacker could exploit this vulnerability to perform arbitrary code execution. This vulnerability has been detected in exploits in the wild.
The vulnerability affects the following appliances:
- Citrix NetScaler ADC and NetScaler Gateway version 10.5 – all supported builds before 10.5.70.12
- Citrix ADC and NetScaler Gateway version 11.1 – all supported builds before 126.96.36.199
- Citrix ADC and NetScaler Gateway version 12.0 – all supported builds before 188.8.131.52
- Citrix ADC and NetScaler Gateway version 12.1 – all supported builds before 184.108.40.206
- Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 13.0 – all supported builds before 220.127.116.11
- Citrix SD-WAN WANOP appliance models 4000-WO, 4100-WO, 5000-WO, and 5100-WO – all supported software release builds before 10.2.6b and 11.0.3b. (Citrix SD-WAN WANOP is vulnerable because it packages Citrix ADC as a load balancer).
See the National Security Agency’s Cybersecurity Advisory on CVE-2019-19781 for other detection measures.
CISA released a utility that enables users and administrators to detect whether their Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway firmware is susceptible to CVE-2019-19781. CISA encourages administrators to visit CISA’s GitHub page to download and run the tool.
CISA strongly recommends users and administrators update Citrix ADC, Citrix Gateway, and Citrix SD-WAN WANOP as soon as possible.
Until the appropriate update is implemented, users and administrators should apply Citrix’s interim mitigation steps for CVE-2019-19781. Verify the successful application of the above mitigations by using the tool in CTX269180 – CVE-2019-19781 – Verification ToolTest. Note: these mitigation steps apply to Citrix ADC and SD-WAN WANOP deployments.
Refer to table 1 for Citrix’s fix schedule.
Table 1. Fix schedule for Citrix appliances vulnerable to CVE-2019-19781
|Vulnerable Appliance||Firmware Update||Release Date|
|Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 10.5||Refresh Build 10.5.70.12||January 24, 2020|
|Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 11.1||Refresh Build 18.104.22.168||January 19, 2020|
|Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 12.0||Refresh Build 22.214.171.124||January 19, 2020|
|Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 12.1||Refresh Build 126.96.36.199||January 23, 2020|
|Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway version 13.0||Refresh Build 188.8.131.52||January 23, 2020|
|Citrix SD-WAN WANOP Release 10.2.6||Build 10.2.6b||January 22, 2020|
|Citrix SD-WAN WANOP Release 11.0.3||Build 11.0.3b||January 22, 2020|
Administrators should review NSA’s Citrix Advisory for other mitigations, such as applying the following defense-in-depth strategy:
“Consider deploying a VPN capability using standardized protocols, preferably ones listed on the National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) Product Compliant List (PCL), in front of publicly accessible Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway appliances to require user authentication for the VPN before being able to reach these appliances. Use of a proprietary SSLVPN/TLSVPN is discouraged.”
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.