All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 3.7
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely
- Vendor: Philips
- Equipment: Interoperability Solution XDS
- Vulnerability: Clear Text Transmission of Sensitive Information
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to read the LDAP system credentials by gaining access to the network channel used for communication. This risk applies to configurations using LDAP via TLS and where the domain controller returns LDAP referrals.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of the Philips Interoperability Solution XDS document sharing system are affected:
- Versions 2.5 through 3.11
- Versions 2018-1 through 2021-1
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to clear text transmission of sensitive information when configured to use LDAP via TLS and where the domain controller returns LDAP referrals, which may allow an attacker to remotely read LDAP system credentials.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Healthcare and Public Health
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Netherlands
Philips reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Philips has identified the following guidance and mitigations:
- Administrators should disable LDAP referrals on their LDAP servers if LDAP via TLS is used.
- Administrators should configure their LDAP servers to include a complete structure to search.
Users with questions regarding their specific installations of the Interoperability Solutions XDS components should contact Philips regional service support online or by phone at 1-800-722-9377.
See the Philips advisory for additional details regarding this vulnerability. In addition, users can visit the Philips product security website for the latest security information for Philips products.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability has a high attack complexity.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.