All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 8.6
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low and high skill level to exploit
- Vendor: B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Equipment: OnlineSuite
- Vulnerabilities: Relative Path Traversal, Uncontrolled Search Path Element, Improper Neutralization of Formula Elements in a CSV File
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to escalate privileges, download and upload arbitrary files, and perform remote code execution.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of OnlineSuite are affected:
- AP 3.0 and earlier
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
A relative path traversal attack in the B. Braun OnlineSuite Version AP 3.0 and earlier allows unauthenticated attackers to upload or download arbitrary files.
A DLL hijacking vulnerability in the B. Braun OnlineSuite Version AP 3.0 and earlier allows local attackers to execute code on the system as a high privileged user.
An Excel Macro Injection vulnerability exists in the export feature in the B. Braun OnlineSuite Version AP 3.0 and earlier via multiple input fields that are mishandled in an Excel export.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Healthcare and Public Health
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Julian Suleder, Nils Emmerich, and Birk Kauer of ERNW Research GmbH; Dr. Oliver Matula of ERNW Enno Rey Netzwerke GmbH, reported these vulnerabilities to the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI), Germany, in the context of the BSI project ManiMed (Manipulation of medical devices).
B. Braun recommends applying the following update:
- OnlineSuite Field Service Information AIS06/20
Please contact your local B. Braun organization to request further help. For more information please see the B. Braun Security Advisory.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.