All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.9
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens and Milestone
- Equipment: Siveillance Video Open Network Bridge (ONVIF)
- Vulnerability: Use of Hard-coded Cryptographic Key
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an authenticated remote attacker to retrieve and decrypt all user credentials stored on the ONVIF server.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Milestone XProtect Open Network Bridge and Siemens Siveillance Video Open Network Bridge, are affected:
- 2020 R3
- 2020 R2
- 2020 R1
- 2019 R3
- 2019 R2
- 2019 R1
- 2018 R3
- 2018 R2
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Affected Open Network Bridges store user credentials for the authentication between ONVIF clients and the ONVIF server using a hard-coded key, which could allow an authenticated remote attacker to retrieve and decrypt all credentials stored on the ONVIF server.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Commercial Facilities
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Milestone PSIRT reported this vulnerability to Siemens.
Siemens has released hotfixes for the following versions of ONVIF and recommends applying the hotfix using the latest available installer for Open Network Bridge.
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations users can apply to reduce the risk:
- Disable the Open Network Bridge (ONVIF), if not in use. By default, the Open Network Bridge is disabled.
As a general security measure Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to affected products with appropriate mechanisms. It is advised to follow recommended security practices to run the devices in a protected IT environment.
Please see Siemens Security Advisory SSA-853866 and the Milestone XProtect advisory for more information.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.