All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 5.4
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Advantech
- Equipment: WebAccess/SCADA
- Vulnerability: Cross-site Scripting
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an unauthorized user to steal a user’s cookie/session token or redirect an authorized user to a malicious webpage.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of WebAccess/SCADA, a browser-based SCADA software package, are affected:
- WebAccess/SCADA Versions 9.0 and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: East Asia, Europe, United States
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Chizuru Toyama of TXOne IoT/ICS Security Research Labs of Trend Micro, working with Trend Micro's Zero Day Initiative, reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Advantech recommends users update to Version 9.0.1 or later.
CISA recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.