All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.6
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: AVEVA
- Equipment: Enterprise Data Management Web
- Vulnerability: SQL Injection
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary SQL commands on the affected device.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Enterprise Data Management Web (formerly eDNA Web), a data management platform, are affected:
- Enterprise Data Management Web v2019 and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to SQL injection, which may allow a malicious attacker to execute arbitrary SQL commands under the privileges of the account configured in eDNA Web for SQL access. If eDNA Web is not installed, the deployment is not vulnerable.
A CVSS v3 base score of 9.6 has been assigned for versions prior to 2017; the CVSS vector string is (AV:A/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H).
A CVSS v3 base score of 9.0 has been assigned for versions 2017-2019; the CVSS vector string is (AV:A/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H).
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Information Technology
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United Kingdom
Yuri Kramarz of Cisco Talos reported this vulnerability to AVEVA.
AVEVA reports that affected users are recommended to upgrade to AVEVA Enterprise Data Management Web v2019 SP1 as soon as possible. If an upgrade to v2019 SP1 is not possible, users can contact AVEVA Global Customer Support, and a hot-fix can be made available for eDNA Web v2018 SP2. Other versions will not be hot-fixed and must be upgraded. For help with applying upgrades and hot-fixes, please contact AVEVA Global Customer Support.
For more information see the AVEVA security bulletin here.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.