All information products included in https://us-cert.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: License Management Utility
- Vulnerability: Execution with Unnecessary Privileges
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow local users to escalate privileges.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of License Management Utility (LMU), a license management system, are affected:
- LMU: All versions prior to v2.4
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
A specific service of the affected application is executed with local SYSTEM privileges on the server while its configuration can be modified by local users.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Commercial Facilities Sector, Government Facilities Sector
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (BSI) reported this vulnerability to Siemens.
Siemens has released an updated version (v2.4) of LMU, and recommends users install this update on all affected systems.
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations users can apply to reduce risk:
- Apply security hardening of the Windows Server, where LMU is installed on, in accordance with corporate security policies or up-to-date hardening guidelines.
- Ensure only trusted persons have access to the system and avoid the configuration of additional local accounts on the server.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to affected products with appropriate mechanisms. It is advised to follow recommended security practices in order to run the devices in a protected IT environment.
For more information please see Siemens Advisory: SSA-709003
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.