All information products included in https://us-cert.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC, SINAMICS
- Vulnerabilities: Uncontrolled Search Path Element, Heap-based Buffer Overflow
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to affect the availability of the devices under certain conditions.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Siemens products are affected:
- SIMATIC PCS 7: All versions
- SIMATIC PDM: All versions
- SIMATIC STEP 7 v5.X: All versions prior to 5.6 SP2 HF3
- SINAMICS STARTER (containing STEP 7 OEM version): All versions prior to 5.4 HF1
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to DLL hijacking, which may allow an attacker with local access to execute code with elevated privileges.
The affected product is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, which may allow an attacker with local access to cause a denial-of-service condition.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Uri Katz of Claroty reported these vulnerabilities to Siemens.
Siemens recommends applying updates, where available:
- SIMATIC STEP 7 v5.X: Update to v5.6 SP2 HF3 or later
- SINAMICS STARTER (containing STEP 7 OEM version): Update to v5.4 HF1 or later
Siemens recommends the following to reduce the risk:
- Restrict access to project files on the engineering station to trusted users.
- Only use project files from trusted sources.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to the Siemens operational guidelines for Industrial Security and following the recommendations in the product manuals.
For additional information, please refer to Siemens Security Advisory SSA-689942
CISA recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities are not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.