All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Eaton
- Equipment: HMiSoft VU3 (HMIVU3 runtime not impacted)
- Vulnerabilities: Stack-based Buffer Overflow, Out-of-bounds Read
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could crash the device being accessed and may allow remote code execution or information disclosure.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of HMiSoft VU3, a HMI Operator Interface, are affected:
- HMiSoft VU3 Version 3.00.23 and prior, however, the HMIVU runtimes are not impacted by these issues.
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
A specially crafted input file could cause a buffer overflow when loaded by the affected product.
A specially crafted input file could trigger an out-of-bounds read when loaded by the affected product.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Energy
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Ireland
Natnael Samson (@NattiSamson) working with Trend Micro’s Zero Day Initiative reported these vulnerabilities to CISA.
Eaton ceased manufacturing the HMiVU on December 31, 2018, and marked the HMiVU software as end of life. As a result, Eaton no longer provides technical support, security fixes, or other fixes for the HMiVU software. To better serve users and provide ongoing replacement solutions, HMiVU was replaced with the XV100 and XV300 lines of operator interface products. It is strongly recommended HMiVU users contact Eaton for technical support and migration assistance to the XV solution.
NOTE: Eaton has discontinued the HMiVU product and has asked users to upgrade.
For assistance with transitioning to XV, please work directly with the following contacts:
- An Eaton sales contact
- Eaton’s Technical Resource Center at 1-877-ETN-CARE (386-2273), Option 2, then Option 5
Information regarding the XV Product offering can be found via the following:
- Eaton Catalog—Volume 7, Tab 05
CISA recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not open untrusted files with industrial control systems devices.
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities are not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.