All information products included in https://us-cert.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Equinox
- Equipment: Control Expert
- Vulnerability: Improper Neutralization of Special Elements used in an SQL Command ('SQL Injection')
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow remote code execution.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Control Expert, am HMI/SCADA management platform, are affected:
- Control Expert, all current and older versions could be affected.
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to an SQL injection attack, which may allow an attacker to remotely execute arbitrary code.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Multiple
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Argentina, Uruguay
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Argentina
Juan Pablo Lopez Yacubian reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Equinox has not responded to requests to provide mitigating details regarding this vulnerability. CISA will update this vulnerability with any information provided by the vendor.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Where possible, obtain security updates from vendor and apply available patches.
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Implement firewall rules to block or restrict Internet and intranet access for database systems.
- Harden internal systems against the potential threat posed by a compromised system on the local network. (Do not rely on firewalls to prevent access to insecure systems; secure them).
- Implement firewall rules to block known malicious IP addresses.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- Run only the minimum required applications and services necessary to perform their intended function. Where possible, disable all unnecessary applications and services.
- Disable potentially harmful SQL stored procedure calls.
- Do not disclose internal database structure, table names, or account names.
- Sanitize or validate input by ensuring data is properly typed and does not contain escaped code. Consider using type-safe stored procedures/prepared statements.
- Delete/disable unnecessary accounts (including default accounts).
- Delete/disable unnecessary stored procedures/prepared statements.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.