All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 6.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
- Equipment: CODESYS Control V3 OPC UA Server
- Vulnerability: NULL Pointer Reference
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could cause a denial-of-service condition.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following CODESYS Control V3 runtime systems, all Versions 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52, containing the CODESYS OPC UA Server supporting OPC UA Security, are affected:
- CODESYS Control for BeagleBone
- CODESYS Control for emPC-A/iMX6
- CODESYS Control for IOT2000
- CODESYS Control for Linux
- CODESYS Control for PFC100
- CODESYS Control for PFC200
- CODESYS Control for Raspberry Pi
- CODESYS Control RTE V3
- CODESYS Control RTE V3 (for Beckhoff CX)
- CODESYS Control Win V3 (also part of the CODESYS Development System setup)
- CODESYS Control V3 Runtime System Toolkit
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Sending specific crafted requests from a trusted OPC UA client may cause a NULL pointer dereference, which may trigger a denial-of-service condition.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH reported this vulnerability to CISA.
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH has released Version 184.108.40.206 to resolve this vulnerability for all affected CODESYS products.
Please visit the CODESYS update page for more information on how to obtain the software update: https://www.codesys.com/download/
As part of a security strategy, 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH recommends the following general defense measures to reduce the risk of exploits:
- Use controllers and devices only in a protected environment to minimize network exposure and ensure that they are not accessible from outside.
- Use firewalls to protect and separate the control system network from other networks.
- Use VPN (virtual private networks) tunnels if remote access is required.
- Activate and apply user management and password features.
- Limit the access to both development and control system by physical means, operating system features, etc.
- Protect both development and control system by using up to date virus detecting solutions. For more information and general recommendations for protecting machines and plants, see also the CODESYS security whitepaper at https://customers.codesys.com/fileadmin/data/customers/security/CODESYS-Security-Whitepaper.pdf
For more information, 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH has released a security report that can be viewed at the following link:
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.