1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: EZAutomation
- Equipment: EZ PLC Editor
- Vulnerability: Improper Restriction of Operations within the Bounds of a Memory Buffer
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to execute code under the privileges of the application.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of EZ PLC Editor are affected:
- EZ PLC Editor Versions 1.8.41 and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An attacker could use a specially crafted project file to corrupt the memory and execute code under the privileges of the application.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Multiple
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
9sg Security Team, working with Trend Micro’s Zero Day Initiative, reported this vulnerability to CISA.
EZAutomation recommends users update to Version 1.9.0 or later.
EZAutomation recommends the following workarounds to further reduce risk:
- Use project files from known sources only
CISA also recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870