All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.0
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
- Equipment: CODESYS V3
- Vulnerabilities: Unverified Ownership, Uncontrolled Memory Allocation
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow a remote attacker to close existing communication channels or to take over an already established user session to send crafted packets to a PLC.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
All variants of the following CODESYS V3 products in all versions prior to v22.214.171.124 that contain the CmpGateway component are affected, regardless of the CPU type or operating system:
- CODESYS Control for BeagleBone
- CODESYS Control for emPC-A/iMX6
- CODESYS Control for IOT2000
- CODESYS Control for Linux
- CODESYS Control for PFC100
- CODESYS Control for PFC200
- CODESYS Control for Raspberry Pi
- CODESYS Control V3 Runtime System Toolkit
- CODESYS Gateway V3
- CODESYS V3 Development System
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The CODESYS Gateway does not correctly verify the ownership of a communication channel.
CVE-2019-9010 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 9.0 has been assigned; the CVSS vector string is (AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H).
3.2.2 UNCONTROLLED MEMORY ALLOCATION CWE-789
A crafted communication request may cause uncontrolled memory allocations in the affected CODESYS products and may result in a denial-of-service condition.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH reported these vulnerabilities to CISA.
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH has released v126.96.36.199 and v188.8.131.52. Each of these releases solve the noted vulnerabilities issues.
Please visit the CODESYS update area for more information on how to obtain the software update: https://www.codesys.com/download/
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.