1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Advantech
- Equipment: Advantech WebAccess HMI Designer
- Vulnerability: Out-of-bounds Write
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to remotely execute arbitrary code.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Advantech WebAccess HMI Designer, a Human Machine Interface (HMI) runtime development software, are affected:
- Advantech WebAccess HMI Designer Version 126.96.36.199 and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Processing specially crafted MCR files lacking proper validation of user supplied data may cause the system to write outside the intended buffer area, allowing remote code execution.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: East Asia, Europe, United States
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Mat Powell of Trend Micro’s Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Advantech has released Version 188.8.131.52 of WebAccess HMI Designer to address the reported vulnerability. Users can download the latest version of WebAccess HMI Designer.
CISA recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870