All information products included in https://us-cert.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3.1 7.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC, SINEC-NMS, SINEMA, SINEMURIK Industrial Control Products with OPC UA
- Vulnerability: Uncaught Exception
2. UPDATE INFORMATION
This updated advisory is a follow-up to the updated advisory titled ICSA-19-099-03 Siemens Industrial Products with OPC UA (Update E) that was posted February 11, 2020, to the ICS webpage on the us-cert.gov website. This updated advisory includes mitigations for an uncaught exception vulnerability in Siemens' Industrial Products using OPS UA communications protocol.
3. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could cause a denial-of-service condition on the affected service or device.
4. TECHNICAL DETAILS
4.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Siemens industrial products are affected:
- SIMATIC CP443-1 OPC UA (including SIPLUS NET variants): all versions
- SIMATIC ET 200 Open Controller CPU 1515SP PC2 (including SIPLUS variants): all versions prior to v2.7
- SIMATIC HMI Comfort Outdoor Panels 7" & 15" (including SIPLUS variants): all versions prior to v15.1 Upd 4
- SIMATIC HMI Comfort Panels 4" 22" (including SIPLUS variants): all versions prior to v15.1 Upd 4
- SIMATIC HMI KTP Mobile Panels KTP400F, KTP700, KTP700F, KTP900, KTP900F (including SIPLUS variants): all versions prior to v15.1 Upd 4
--------- Begin Update F Part 1 of 2 --------
- SIMATIC IPC DiagMonitor: all versions prior to v5.1.3
- SINEC-NMS: all versions prior to v1.0 SP1
--------- End Update F Part 1 of 2 --------
- SIMATIC NET PC Software: all versions v7.1 and newer, but prior to v16
- SIMATIC RF188C: all versions prior to v1.1.0
- SIMATIC RF600R: all versions prior to v3.2.1
- SIMATIC S7-1500 CPU Family: all versions v2.5 and newer, and prior to v2.6.1
- SIMATIC WinCC OA: all versions prior to v3.15-P018
- SINEC-NMS: all versions
- SINEMA Server: all versions prior to v14 SP2
- SINUMERIK OPC UA Server: all versions prior to v2.1
- TeleControl Server Basic: all versions
4.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Specially crafted network packets sent to affected devices on Port 4840/TCP could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to cause a denial-of-service condition in the OPC communication or crash the device.
An attacker with network access to the affected systems could exploit the vulnerability. Successful exploitation requires no system privileges and no user interaction. An attacker could use the vulnerability to compromise availability of the OPC communication.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens ProductCERT reported this vulnerability to CISA. Artem Zinenko of Kaspersky identified that SIPLUS is also affected.
Siemens currently has updates for the following products:
SIMATIC ET 200 Open Controller CPU 1515SP PC2: Update to v2.7
- SIMATIC HMI Comfort Outdoor Panels 7" & 15" (including SIPLUS variants): Update to v15.1 Upd 4
- SIMATIC HMI Comfort Panels 4" 22" (including SIPLUS variants): Update to v15.1 Upd 4
- SIMATIC HMI KTP Mobile Panels KTP400F, KTP700, KTP700F, KTP900, KTP900F (including SIPLUS variants): Update to v15.1 Upd 4
--------- Begin Update F Part 2 of 2 ----------
--------- End Update F Part 2 of 2 ----------
- SIMATIC NET PC Software: Update to v16
- SIMATIC RF188C: Update to v1.1.0
- SIMATIC RF600R: Update to v3.2.1
- SIMATIC S7-1500 CPU Family (including related ET200 CPUs and SIPLUS variants): Update to v2.6.1
- SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller: Update to v2.7
- SIMATIC WinCC OA: Update to v3.15-P018 (logon required)
- SIMATIC WinCC Runtime Advanced: Update to v15.1 Upd 4
- SINEMA Server: Update to v14 SP2
- SINUMERIK OPC UA Server: Update to v2.1 or newer
For the balance of the listed products, Siemens is preparing further updates and recommends users apply the following specific workarounds and mitigations to reduce risk until patches are available:
- Deactivate the OPC UA Service if supported by the product.
- Apply cell protection concept.
- Use VPN for protecting network communication between cells.
- Apply Defense-in-Depth.
Siemens recommends users configure their environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for Industrial Security (Download) and follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found at: https://www.siemens.com/industrialsecurity
For more information on the vulnerability and more detailed mitigation instructions, please see Siemens security advisory SSA-307392
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.