1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Advantech
- Equipment: WebAccess/SCADA
- Vulnerabilities: Improper Authentication, Authentication Bypass, SQL Injection
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities may allow an attacker to access and manipulate sensitive data.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of WebAccess/SCADA, a SCADA software platform, are affected:
- WebAccess/SCADA Version 8.3
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An improper authentication vulnerability exists that could allow a possible authentication bypass allowing an attacker to upload malicious data.
Specially crafted requests could allow a possible authentication bypass that could allow an attacker to obtain and manipulate sensitive information.
The software does not properly sanitize its inputs for SQL commands.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: East Asia, United States, Europe
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Devesh Logendran of Attila Cybertech Pte. Ltd. reported these vulnerabilities to NCCIC.
Advantech has released Version 8.3.5 of WebAccess/SCADA to address the reported vulnerabilities. Users can download the latest version of WebAccess/SCADA at the following location (registration required):
NCCIC recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870