All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
Aleksandr Timorin of Positive Technologies has identified a cleartext storage of sensitive information vulnerability in IniNet Solutions GmbH’s embeddedWebServer (eWebServer). IniNet Solutions GmbH has produced a new version that mitigates this vulnerability.
The following eWebServer versions are affected:
- IniNet Solutions GmbH’s eWebServer for Windows CE, versions prior to Version 2.02.
IniNet Solutions GmbH’s eWebServer is a third-party software that is used in industrial control system devices. NCCIC/ICS-CERT is working with vendors to identify affected products that incorporate vulnerable versions of eWebServer. ICS-CERT will update the advisory with additional affected products as more information becomes available.
The IniNet Solutions GmbH’s eWebServer is known to be used in the following Baumüller products:
- Baumüller Box PC bmaXX PCC BMP-03-0000, firmware Version 2015-03-11_PCC-03_v1.6,
- Baumüller Box PC bmaXX PCC BMP-03-120R, firmware Version 2015-03-11_PCC-03_v1.6, and
- Baumüller Box PC bmaXX PCC BMP-03-150R, firmware Version 2015-03-11_PCC-03_v1.6.
The IniNet Solutions GmbH’s eWebServer is known to be compatible and used with the following Beckhoff products:
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX1010,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX1020,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX1030,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX2000,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX5100,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX5000,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX9000,
- Beckhoff Embedded PC, series CX9010,
- Beckhoff CX9020, Basic CPU module, and
- Beckhoff Embedded PC CX8090.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerability in eWebServer could compromise the confidentiality of the system.
Impact to individual organizations depends on many factors that are unique to each organization. ICS-CERT recommends that organizations evaluate the impact of this vulnerability based on their operational environment, architecture, and product implementation.
IniNet Solutions GmbH is a Switzerland-based company.
The affected product, eWebServer, is a third-party web-based server software. According to IniNet Solutions GmbH, eWebServer is deployed across several industries including building automation. IniNet Solutions GmbH estimates that this product is primarily used in Europe.
CLEARTEXT STORAGE OF SENSITIVE INFORMATIONa
The eWebServer stores passwords in cleartext.
This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
EXISTENCE OF EXPLOIT
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
An attacker with low skill would be able to exploit this vulnerability.
IniNet Solutions GmbH has produced a new version of eWebServer, Version 2.02 that mitigates the vulnerability. The new version can be obtained by contacting IniNet Solutions GmbH. IniNet Solutions GmbH’s contact information is available at the following URL:
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ASSET OWNERS WITH AFFECTED BAUMÜLLER PRODUCTS
Baumüller has reported that the three affected products will be retired in December 2015, and no patches are planned for these products. Baumüller recommends that asset owners contact them to discuss intermediate response options.
Baumüller’s contact information is available at the following URL: http://www.baumuller.com/e_contacts_24h.htm.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ASSET OWNERS WITH AFFECTED BECKHOFF PRODUCTS
Asset owners of an identified Beckhoff product should determine if a vulnerable version of eWebServer is in use. Asset owners using a vulnerable version of eWebServer should contact their supplier or IniNet Solutions GmbH to obtain a new version of eWebServer. Beckhoff has stated that IniNet Solutions GmbH products are not a Beckhoff product. eWebServer is an application software by a third-party vendor developed and sold independent of Beckhoff. Beckhoff asserts that their (standard) products are not affected.
ICS-CERT encourages asset owners to take additional defensive measures to protect against this and other cybersecurity risks.
- Maintain layered physical and logical security to implement defense-in-depth design practices for ICS environments.
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
ICS-CERT also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page at: http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/content/recommended-practices. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies. ICS-CERT reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available in the ICS‑CERT Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies, that is available for download from the ICS-CERT web site (http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/).
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to ICS-CERT for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
- a. CWE-312: Cleartext Storage of Sensitive Information, http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/312.html, web site last accessed October 20, 2015.
- b. NVD, http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2015-1005, NIST uses this advisory to create the CVE web site report. This web site will be active sometime after publication of this advisory.
- c. CVSS Calculator, https://www.first.org/cvss/calculator/3.0#CVSS:3.0/AV:P/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:N, web site last accessed October 20, 2015.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.